Saturday, November 9, 2013

Keeps me out of the bar....

I suspect my contemporaries would probably shake their head and call me an idiot if I were to tell them about my last two days.  I really thought the snow would melt but it is starting to add up and more (hopefully) in store for the weekend.  I ended up blowing the snow off #7 green and the front half of #6 and put down what Enkamat we had before it got any more "winterish" than it already is.  Like I said before, it's not a big deal but still working an hour or two in the dusk/dark on Friday p.m. might have been easier than the 7 hours of blowing snow/moving tarps/rolling out the Enkamat/re-tarping the greens.  But at least I know it can be done and how long it may take for future reference.....sounds sort of like a justification, no?

Almost 90% of #7 was covered with Enkamat and just a small portion of the front of #6 (for more of an experiment than anything else).
#6 Green with Enkamat and Tarp
Go here for a short explanation of tarps.  For the most part the things referenced in that post are still true.  When we messed around with the Enkamat last year I saw some things that made we want to use it again for this winter.  It seems when we remove the tarps in the spring the turf is sort of squished (not very technical but a good visual).  The Enkamat under the tarp not only appeared to act as a cushion from the weight of the snow pack but also an insulation between the turf leaf blades and ice that formed on top of the tarp.  The result is what you see in the pictures of #7 from March 2013 post (go here).  My hope is by placing the Enkamat under the semi-permeable tarp on #6 it will give this green a bit of help through the winter and maybe a better start next spring.